Thursday, March 30, 2006

Not all Curries are good...

If you had seen me this morning, you would have thought, wow, calm girl who seems to have all her cards well ordered. I spent my day comforting and hearing other people while they stressed out, freaked out, stormed about! I think I have a previous blog which states I would abstain from taking on other peoples stress. So, okay I wasn't successful. I not only took on the stress but I allowed it to make me raw. So when I saw this man...the crank fest began!

Who is this guy? Russell, PhD and my boss! One of my many bosses at this point. Today, he decided to be rather difficult. I asked for an extension on marking assignments...NO. Okay, fair enough. I was cranky but I didn't push it. Then I preceded to talk about a student I was helping. I was asked to describe the student because apparently the name was not good enough. So I tried, however I really despise describing people, ESPECIALLY when I have successfully presented a name. The student is an exchange student and when I admitted I cannot tell the difference between Taiwanese, Chinese or Japanese, I got the swift reply "You grew up here, didn't you?" WHAT FUCKING QUESTION IS THAT?!??! And the conversation ocurred in front of TWO people...I was embarrassed and I felt like I had been reduced because of where I was raised!! No acknowledgement of my experience or my level of education...nope, I am reduced to a location! He continued to push even though he knew I was already irritated. Seriously who does that?!?!
Russell !

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Being one of those two other people in the room, I have to admit that I was shocked at Russell's line of questioning (for lack of a better phrase). I especially enjoyed it when after you couldn't describe the person in question (who he definitely should have known by teh name and your previous emails on the subject) he started utilising racial stereotypes to get to the bottom of his query: "What kind of Asian is he? Is he short?"
Recall other incidents of invalid information regarding ethnicity: the inclusion of not only names and student numbers on documents but also ESL status and country of birth!!!
Ahh Russell. You are an odd duck.
Shake it off, She, there's only a few weeks left.

The rally cry: NO HUGS AT THE END OF THIS ONE!

As for curries, I like mine with a little mango chutney on the side.

Sheyde said...

Ugh, I am glad I am not getting a hug. The part that pisses me off...and watch this...next time I have to see him, he will be a human being! Really bothers me!

Unknown said...

I love the pic. He looks so young.
Makes me think that his stunned look is an after-effect of the botox injection.
hehe.

Sheyde said...

Funny you should mention that, cause doesn't he in real life look stunned? Perhaps he does use Botox?

Sheyde said...

Okay I accept I am going to hell and in my defense I won't be alone and I am po'd!! So I added another picture, which I feel is more representative of how Currie looks NOW.
Funny I am looking at all the marking right now and I feel like I will do data entry last minute just to prove...what?? Exactly that all of this is not getting to him...it is getting to me! BAH capitalistic system which makes me so dependent!!

Unknown said...

is it just me or does that one student look odd? 3 possibilities:
1. She's falling asleep.
2. She's bashing her head on the desk.
3. She's actually a mannequin that was posed by Dr C and has fallen over.

Sheyde said...

I say mannequin! Although perhaps she is thinking "Yep even at this angle he is still a jerk"