Saturday, March 18, 2006

Civil Service and Language

I am currently listening to CBC radio and the discussion is centred around Civil Service and the requirement of bilingualism for the job. Two women who are already Civil Servants were interviewed. Both had been told that they will not advance in their jobs if they can't speak french fluently. Both had minimal handle on french...probably the same level as me...one of them even went for french training however she couldn't get to a fluent level. Four million francophones in Canada, mostly residing in Quebec. The argument is that we are losing contact points for this society. The concern is that there is not much out there reflecting a bilingual Canada, which in turn is isolating those who only speak French.
Someone brought up the notion that the issue is a Canadian Crisis...an issue that won't go away. How do we deal with it? I feel for those in Quebec and I appreciate Canada is comprised of two very distinct languages (keeping in mind all the Aboriginal languages we don't even acknowledge) Although I also have personal feelings on the subject as well. I only know a smattering of French...enough to perhaps get me a cup of coffee and maybe some directions, outside of that knowledge I would be dead in the water in Quebec. However, I have no intention on going to Quebec...so far it hasn't popped into my head at all. And furthermore I reside in the West, VERY far from Quebec. So why are we forcing people who live far away from, and will more than likely never come in contact with to learn french?
Okay and this is where I become a real shithead in the whole discussion. Because I am holding onto the idea that if I ever have a child I will enroll the child into a french emmersion school. Now, wait, my reasoning isn't because my child will learn a second language fluently, my reasoning is because studies show that children who attend french emmersion schools have much higher academic achievment rates, they have better reading and writing skills. In addition to academic achievement there are studies that show the same children are less likely to fall into lives of addiction and criminality...all from going to french emmersion?? I would rather take my chances with french emmersion then english speaking public school, where increasingly we are seeing children and teenagers pushed through the system. The standards for writing and reading are lowering!
What to do with our friends in Quebec? I don't want them to go anywhere, I think they are valuable...on the same token I don't want anyone to be forced to learn the language and result in loss of advancement.

No comments: