Saturday, March 18, 2006

Procrastination...

How many times, how many times will I come back to the blog, because I am trying to escape my work at hand? I finally finished editing a paper for a PhD. He hired me officially last week to edit his papers...after I think I edited the most atrocious piece of writing I saw. Now wait when I say atrocious, I am not talking about the first year papers I mark. I am talking about a person who has had seven plus years of academia and I am assuming he also has taught for at least ten years! So, how in the hell can I be a better writer then him?!?! And I suck at writing papers!! Well for english anyways, give me a social science paper and I am off and running!
Regardless, I have made the decision to sell my soul. I am in a desperate crunch for money...not sure what I am going to do (whole other story). I do not and REFUSE to go back to the restuarant industry. So, as a consequence, I have to pick up a million little piece jobs in order to make ends meet while in school...have no clue what I will do for the summer, however I am holding out hope that the magic job fairy will fly in my window at night and bestow me with an amazing job opportunity. NOT LIKELY...but I am allowed to dream. Okay, so selling my soul...I am not really keen on this PhD person...he is odd. Very odd. I came to know him because he needed a teaching assistant for a very large class. Me and a peer agreed to split the hours...only to find out this guy likes being brutal to his students...it is his "time tested" approach. BAH!! What it is...oh I will tell you...it is set the guildlines for marking for T.A.'s and then when students fail send them the T.A.'s direction rather then taking the hit for your own damn guildlines!! And why do I still do it? Cause I need the money!! And how is that different from the restuarant? Still trying to figure it out!!
Okay, so slowly he decides he needs an editor for his own work...considering he is working for a university that is a publishing machine, he has to get on the publishing wagon FAST or he is out of a job! This is where I enter...and you would think that because he is such a bastard to his students and their papers that maybe his papers are of really high standard...I thought that! Foolish me! They are horrible! I have even seen comments from the journals he has tried to submit to...and WOW...they are disgusted by him as well! Well at least if I am editing the papers he can blame me instead of himself for not being able to get published. Thank goodness I don't need him for a reference, or I would be HOOPED!
Okay and in the midst of this am I doing any of my own work? Hellz NO! And with that comment I kick myself of the blog and get to my own academic persuits!

No comments: