Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The energy it takes to eat...


Again I am throwing more reading at you. Hopefully, you have adobe acrobat to open this I tried to copy it but WOW, it was tough and incomplete.
The main theme of the paper is how much energy is put into food and the link to Iran. Essentially, wheat, corn and rice are where we are expending our energy, and the amount we spend on a kernal of corn is insane!!
You know these organic folks and health food freaks piss me off, because of for the majority that I have come across they somehow associate health food and organic food as their part in helping heal the world, the environment. However, it isn't the case...just another capitalist venture to appease the masses...ugh I am not happy with that phrase "the masses". Almost seems to remove any sense of intelligence and instills a sense that we are sheep. I argue we are intelligent human beings, thinking and feeling and extremely cognitive. However, the constant bombardment of information, deflective information if I may add that, and our minds become tired, exhausted, we just want to help, be helpful, be part of the solution...and exploiters have caught onto that. Oh and if you think you are gonna cut wheat and corn and rice out of your diet in order to save the world from the overconsumption of energy...uhm...good luck because those three are insidious a part of everyday. But some information about exactly how this stuff ends up on our plates doesn't hurt.
Try sometimes googling a food item...I tried broccoli..was kind of lame but I did learn alot about the vegetable. Someone else did Pizza and discovered something about Domino's which makes me never eat there again. And another person did Pastachio nuts...and well that nut has some history and next to oil that little nugget is also another tension maker between the states and iraq. I find it interesting how our foods arrive in our cupboards and we take it for granted and look at them as without a story or a history...oh ya the link below...depends on how much time you want in front of your computer...good luck and much love!

http://www.yorku.ca/public/public/backissu/30feature.pdf

No comments: