Monday, August 14, 2006

Crisis elevated


Paranoid these days? Feeling symptoms that any moment the government will discover that your chapstick has been used to enable a terrorist plot? Are you constantly plagued with images of smoking buildings, viruses and the potential threat of an apocalypse?
YOU, YOU are not alone! There are millions of people like you, billions in fact who are also feeling the pressure of current world events.
So, what sparks this particular rant? V for Vendetta the movie.
My brother had the graphic novel and I have inherited it and tucked it away in my closet...I always told myself I would read it someday. The importance of me reading them is the novel was on of the latest things my brother picked up on, so I wanted and still want to feel his presence before he died. Surprising that not long after a movie comes out, and I know he would have LOVED it!!
It is a good movie and I fully recommend it. How do you know if it is a movie for you? Did you enjoy the Matrix? Did you read 1984 or the Handmaids Tale and enjoy it? If so, then V for Vendetta is for you! Now normally when comic books and graphic novels are adapted to the big screen I scream and die a little inside because the vision seems to never translate well and audiences are screwed out of what could be a potentially great experience. With V for Vendetta, the audience for once is spared. For those who feel they are savvy enough notice the interesting parallels to current events. I won't give it away, I can't, too good to do that to you!
However, the movie reminded me of my constant feeling that something isn't right. One that we have willingly allowed ourselves, in N.A. to be zombified and spoonfed our information, our knowledge.
Has anyone noticed the "crisis in the middle east" or the current events with British Airways, which once again has brought us to our knees in fear but raised up some dusty idea of patriotism...patriotism to what?
And the poor Muslim community. The amount of hatred and tension that is building in North America coupled with bombings, attacks and violence in the middle east. Which I dare you to pull out a map and look at the actual size of the countries that are embroiled in warfare currently compared to idea of the "middle east" and then pull your eyes over the nicely nestled and "safe" North America...again what is the threat? Oh don't forget to watch the rising gas prices and the profits and compare the descrepancies.
And since when did I become of lip balm on a plane? Last weekend. All I can say is I am lucky I am not a business traveler because right now would be a crappy time to travel...maybe the Canadian government could postpone their elaborate meetings overseas and get in their cars and drive to the local Timmy's for a meeting rather than spending our freaking money to stay in a luxury resort somewhere far from the country they are suppose to be leading???
Okay and why is Harper in Alert Bay and not at the World conference on Aids in Ontario?? SMUCK!! Between Bush and Harper I think North America needs to drink some serious amounts of WAKE the FUCK up juice, get our sorry noses out of other peoples crap and look at the shit pile we are making in our own backyard before we get all self righteous about democracy and freeing other countries and assimiliating them because there is no hope for our cracked out, illiterate degenerates here.
And with that....
Go watch V for Vendetta...and then turn to CNN...case and point.

No comments: