Saturday, May 26, 2007

Farmer's Market Adventure!

I am fairly sure by now all the people who read this know how much love I have the Farmer's Market. I am fairly infectious with my enthusiasm, and have managed to convince a small handful of people to go and see what I am talking about. Of course for some it didn't take so well, but then for others they have found the same love of the event as I have. Again, these events aren't for everyone. I am not really sure what kind of person really would be perfectly suited and identifiable as a Farmer's Market enthusiast. I want to say it is someone who loves the feeling of community and connection...but I may be excluding or generalizing.

One of my favourite pleasures (not even guilty either) is to show up before the market opens and watch as the tents set up and the food and crafts are pulled out. You can hear the people yelling and talking and bustling, and the traffic is slowly waking up, the birds can still be heard, the sun is rising! (not today though, no sun for me!)
I can sit there for an hour and just take it in, I become so relaxed and peaceful.

Of course early mornings aren't easy to negotiate. Especially the kind of mornings I have been practicing. However, I had convinced a friend that the market was a wonder to behold and he wanted to come and he came! He met me just in time for the place to open up and start business. Here is Rob before he normally wakes up in the morning! Look at that champ!

And for posterity sake I figured I should add a picture to show I didn't pick some random off the street to pretend to be my friend. Both of us have the "it's early morning and we need hats and sunglasses for this! My hat is a helmet, really would have accentuated the already large head I possess!

7 comments:

Mystress Fyre said...

You look beautiful!!! Your positively radiating in your self portrait!!! Yay YOU!!!

I love the picture of Rob...it's so early he can barely put *both* fingers up for the peace sign...hahahaha.

Mmmm...farmers markets. There's been a lotta chatter in my friends circles lately about buying locally from farmer's markets, how the food is better, fresher, tastes better lasts longer! I think I have a tentative date to go to one downtown here in SF on wednesday morning with a friend of mine who'se gots a baby...and I'll be packing Tula May...my 2 year old charge for the day. Should be a fun adventure all the way around!

Sheyde said...

LOL,thanks for the compliment! I am radiating, primarily because biking those freaking hills really puts the glow in the skin!

Actually, to be fair to Rob he had pulled off a perfect peace sign, but I couldn't resist catching him looking a little more frazzled! We had a good laugh about it.

Yes, my veggies and salad easily last the week! And oh my gosh the peppers, they are thick and sturdy and sweet and yummerooooo! Plus the cost is minimal really. I recommend going early to beat the crowds, especially if you are carrying children (don't know what SF Market is like, but I can imagine) although you are good at jockeying. The whole scene is a blast!
How far is the market from your place?

Sheyde said...

hehehe I said "beat the crowds", I can see the news headline now "woman beats crowd to teach children about social control"

Mystress Fyre said...

Ironically the farmer's market is a mere block and a half from my house as it's at Civic Center..right downtown. However, Tula lives in the Mission so we'd be schlepping over from her house. It's an easy BART ride over though and she loves to wave g'bye at all the passing trains while we're waiting for ours. It's really cute.

I get there at 8am which means that I'm up, ready to go and had sufficient caffine to fuel morning adventures. It's totally plausible that we're there by 9:30 which is around the time they start I think.

My problem lately has been not having the *time* to actually cook food! These days I've been rushing straight from nannying to teaching in the night...no time to stop home and grab a bite. I've been trying to find healthy alternatives to eat out though. What I really need to do is cook something and nibble on it all week. But that would require inspiration in the kitchen which I've been lacking as of late....gak!

Sheyde said...

Oh yah, I know what you mean...I am inspired, but the ingredients I need come in too large of packages, and of course by the time I am ready to eat, I am TIRED!!! I have been eating a lot of cold food lately, salads and fruit, which is good, but I desire something off the stove...but that means I gotta get it going and I just have no oomph in me to do so!

Have fun at the market and let me know what you think...I can only imagine what the SF one would be like, I think I would be in a state of bliss there!

Mystress Fyre said...

We successfully trundled off to the Farmers Market this morning and met up with a friend and her daughter. We lazily strolled the produce booths, the fish stand, the flower stand and the Nut Stand. I was totally overwhelmed and realized that I have a hard time shopping with people as it's become mediation for me...I shop, I focus on what I can make, when I have time to make it...will the food just lay in the bottom drawer of my fridge and rot? Will I actually have time to cook it?

I relented and purchased some fresh beets for juicing and some yellow peaches...my favorites! I bought a lot more fruit for Tula and her family..half of which Tula ate on the spot ;o)

It's amazing how much local choice there was! I totally forgot what the spread was like there! The same people have been selling at the Farmer's Market for years as I recognized them all from when I attended years ago. I want to go again next week but might swoop in on my own for a bit so as to properly focus and get stuff.

Overall though it was super fun! The culture was vivid, the local 'wildlife' (and I don't mean the pidgeons) was in full regalia and Tula had a great time!

Sheyde said...

hehehe, I miss the local wildlife, they made me feel so 'normal'?

I am glad you have rediscovered the market...it's more community! And by gosh, if I have to do it one person at a time I WILL...community is good for the soul! And the closer we get to it, the more safe we are. Seems so sensical, and yet here we are in North America bombing every bridge! (oh I can feel myself getting metaphorical and preaching) WHOOA She!

Glad you went and I love hearing about it, although a bit jealous I would have LOVED to go, we don't have a nut stand, but we do have nutty people (yep I am corny!)

MUCHO LOVE