Tuesday, September 12, 2006

When the pipe breaks the water will flow, grasshopper

Well, when you notice a wet spot on your floor, sometimes it doesn't pay to investigate where it is coming from...Why I do, I don't know!

So, outside my bathroom, was an odd singular wet spot. It was there all day and had gotten slightly worse by the end of the evening. So I alerted Dylan to the situation, we both couldn't figure it out, but then I noticed weird coloring near the water heater closet and felt the ground around there and sure enough it was damp as well. So we opened the water heater closet and Dylan noticed the top of one them was leaking. He touched it...just touched it, nothing else...and well from there is the point where the pipe burst and we began the process of bailing water and trying to call anyone who would help us solve the issue of water that wouldn't stop running.

Essentially from what we can figure at this point, is that the minerals in our water corroded the connection from the water to the hot water tank...so what Dylan touched was the last remaning vestiges keeping the water from flowing copiously out and into our home. So for the next 45mins we rotated bucket...three, at an alarming rate, so much so my back hurts and Dylan is pooched. No plumber would come and we had to call the city to shut of the water main...this means the WHOLE house has NO running water...none, nada, nil. And really, I knew it would be a struggle to not have water, considering I am a water hog, just in my drinking style, forget my cleaning needs...but the kicker was, oh and it hurts to say this even now, the kicker and true kick in the teeth was when I realized at 5am we would not being having any coffee...NO COFFEE...WAH WAH WAH WAH...

Of course once you wake up and your body starts functioning there are other issues surrounding water needs. Uhm and I am an avid hand washer...no water...this is 3rd world living, and I am a first world girl...PLUMBING is my SAFETY network...without running water, I am lost, feeble, and weak.

Okay, so a bit of the dramatic, although it sure puts everything in perspective, the luxury I have and have had.

1 comment:

Mystress Fyre said...

we all realize how much we take for granted when it's not there eh? Just a swift flick of a tap and voila! We have pure clean running water and we never think twice about it. About what we use it for, how it helps us in the morning, in the night, whenever.

Desert Camping has made me aware of such things--although I'll admit to forgetting these things once I've returned back to civilization. But the reality of how much water we use on a daily basis? And in actual truth of how little we really need! A 5 gallon shower is all we need. Yep.
Ah, yes.....and think Hand Sanitizer ;0)