Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Red Nails

As promised, creative inspirations will ensue here. I am nervous to put this on the blog, not because I am afraid of people and their criticism...cause I know what I can do and can't do, but I am freaked out someone will find my stuff, and pass it off as their own, which would break my heart. Although, I think to myself it will be a really small world that reads my blog and anything I put on here will be rough draft, no where near the final product so here I go with gustooooooo....



"Always, her painted red fingernails haunt me. They haunt me because I haven’t buried her like she buried me. The point of origin is my memory of her digging in the earth; using these glossy red nails, fake nails, to get in and under the moist dirt. She was compulsive about burying anything she had to explain. I remember a picture, a photograph, it must have been a birthday, because someone captured her image bowed over a blue balloon, and there in the centre were the red fingernails. There isn’t a single photograph or childhood memory without those fingernails always pointing, grasping, clawing raking over every truth and covering every child she had. Now as I am older, unearthed I find myself standing in the beauty section of drugstores, in front of the display for fake nails. Her brand is there. I finger the boxes, wondering if after 45 minutes of inspecting labels I will purchase her nails for myself."

3 comments:

Mystress Fyre said...

more please.
yes please.
I want to know more bout who owns the nails? I want to see her in my head.

I like the imagery about burying anything she had to explain...raking over every truth. Mmmm.

My mom always had red fake nails....hahahaha.

more more MORE!

Sheyde said...

More will come, I will have to email you the larger story. there is a context from which this particular scene comes from...thanks about the suggesiton about who owns the nails...I need to add that to this piece, especially if it will be free standing...
yes yes yes, more more more...of your comments...and more will come of my writing...I promise

Mystress Fyre said...

goody goody gush!!