Friday, September 22, 2006

Throwing stones



Broken Glass

Once upon a time, that’s the way I remember him.

Once upon a time, he and I lived in a glass shoe. And this glass shoe was neatly placed in the centre of a green field in the centre of a small village in the centre of a vast forest. And we were the centres of each other’s world. He played with transformers and I played with hot wheels. We spoke in small sentences, such as “I like this” or “lets play in the heel.”

Once upon a time, he was a boy and I was a girl, that’s the way we remember ourselves.

Once upon a time his hair was red and ine was blond. Everyone in the small village in the vast forest had black hair. They played with paper, tools and building blocks. They spoke in long sentences with large words. Such as “After long consideration and an introspective look we are content to obviate from the cultural inconsistencies.”


Once upon a time, we were young and our memory was here and now.

Once upon a time, he and I could no longer find joy in our transformers and hot wheels. We wanted our red and blond hair to darken and deepen. We found our short sentences lacking, all because there was a crack in our shoe and the long dark sentences had seeped through disturbing our sleep. Their words from the small village burnt our grassy field and soot covered our glass shoe.

Once upon a time, he and I were friends. We saw our similarities not our differences.

Once upon time, we left our glass shoe. We sought new shelter within the small village in the vast forest. In our short sentences we asked, “Please, share with us.” They pulled at our hair, examined our toys, and took pictures of us, standing next to the heel of our glass shoe now covered in soot in the centre of the burnt grass field.

Once upon a time, he and I thought we were okay. We fit with each other.

Once upon a time, they changed our clothing, took away our toys, cut our hair and extended our sentences. They wanted us to use their paper and tools and building blocks. They wanted us to walk in straight lines, and live in row houses made from wood and plastic. They gave us names, Fred and Mary. They gave us birth dates, watches, calendars and schedules. They laughed at our offerings of shells and grass.

Once upon a time, he found joy in our toys, in our appearance, in our language, in our similarities. That’s the way I remember him.

4 comments:

Mystress Fyre said...

I love the imagrey of living in a glass shoe! It's fitting in so many ways!!!

I don't know if it's important to the overall story line but it's something I was trying to figure out while reading...where are they? Obviously they're outcasts of some kind but I thought perhaps they were orhpaned kids growing up in a country of dark skinned folk or jewish or some such thing?? I found myself stumbling over that as I read. . . their location...

There's a rift between the two characters? they grow apart?

"Once upon a time, he and I were friends. We saw our similarities not our differences."

Which way did he go? How did the friendship end?

At first I thought maybe this was about you and Jaiden but you guys didn't grow up together right? He came into your world when you were a teenager ya?

It's got me scratching my head in a good way!!!

Sheyde said...

Ya, I was tasked to write a childrens story. Clearly, I didn't meet my task. What ended up being produced is my idea of a fragile existence in the middle of colonization and imperialism. These ideas of gender were pervasive, and of difference and identity as well, so that was what I was trying to do. Nothing personal, just me getting on my highhorse...yikes!

Mystress Fyre said...

Brother's Grimm has always intrigued me as children's stories...They seem so innocent when your young but if you take a close look at them when your older you see that they're really f%*ked up!
Rohl Dahl --- He's anohter one who's written kids stories AND adult stories too.
Or look into Dr. Seuss! He did a lot of political writing and cartooning for years...Sneetches, the Lorax Tree...I LOVE Dr.Seuss

and so I digress on the weirdness of kids stories. They're the hardest thing to write in my opinion...keep plugging away at it girl! Would be interested in reading more of this one.

Unknown said...

I'm a huge fan of Roald Dahl's macabre shorts! He seemed like such a quiet man...