Monday, February 04, 2008

Miss Champagne Sparkles

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of, in some measure, knowing about Miss Champagne Sparkles, here is a picture of her: (I took liberty of taking the picture from her website, so thankyou to her photographer)



In case the face and name intrigue you, here is her website http://www.champagnesparkles.ca/

I had the opportunity to see Miss Sparkles perform at the Habitat back in April of 2007. A friend of mine had seen a poster for a Peep, peep, peep show featuring an opening act of the Kabuki Guns and the main dish being Cheesecake Burlesque Revue (by far the better of the two). So we wrangled up another friend (minus the rope and spurs) and went to the Habitat to see the performance. I had a great time watching the Cheesecake Burlesque Revue and for a moment became inspired to be a burlesque performer...reality is, I have no dancing background and had a significant amount of weight to loss. (not all is lost, I am losing the weight and I am currently in bellydancing classes, who knows? my future is bright). Recently I decided to google my blog to see what kind of hit it would get and both hits were about my review of the evening (not that I am any actual critic or anything, I just wanted to put out there how great it was to have burlesque in Kelowna and how great Cheesecake was--certainly less calories!)
Anyways, Miss Sparkles and M. Colada both responded to my post!!! I was blown away and quite excited! So I felt it was necessary to put it out my love for burlesque and for the ladies who do it so well and to update their information for any one who might be reading. Miss Sparkles, I am watching my comments section now!! *smile*
Anyways, I am not sure about venues...Habitat is a wonderful supporter of such acts as burlesque. I may be a bit tainted on my view of Kelowna (been here too long), but the overall sentiment is very conservative here. Now that the University of British Columbia has moved into town I have high hopes that the Okanagan - Kelowna - will be busted out its shell and desire a more eclectic and electicfying flavour!
My suggestion outside of the Habitat would be the Rotary Arts Centre, there is a lovely stage there and the seating is elevated so everyone can equally see the show...I also feel like the RAC is becoming and is more progressive.
I will spend some more time pondering this, especially if there is hope that the Revue will be back in Kelowna soon! It wouldn't be hard to sell out the show even! (or two? *hopeful smile*)

2 comments:

Champagne Sparkles said...

The best part of burlesque is that anyone can do it! It takes some guts and a desire to entertain - but otherwise it's about taking what you've got and shaking it up a bit (physically and otherwise)!!!!

Thanks so much for your support and we are hoping to make another tour through the Okanagan within the year! I'll look into the tip on the theatre!

xoxo
Champagne Sparkles

Champagne Sparkles said...

We are coming back to the Okanagan at the end of January! We'll be performing at the theatre in Vernon.

Thanks again for your support and I hope we'll see you there!

Info on the show is here:
http://www.ticketseller.ca/?page=ticket&event=101