Friday, February 02, 2007

Profound Curiousity

What is your story? I am fairly sure I don't like that line, because all of a sudden I feel like I have to perform. I clearly remember the last person who asked me that question and the one and only time I asked what would you like to hear?
The truth of that event is that the truth wasn't being sought, just a facet, something colourful and strange.
The response was that the person felt that by asking a person to talk about themselves one can find out a lot by what is said. How can I argue with that? I am a person who listens so intently to what people aren't saying. Constantly I am weeding out truth's and non-truths.
How did I respond? I stammered, I stuttered, I blushed, I wrung my hands, I nervously laughed and admitted that without direction I didn't know what to say. At first I thought that indicated I was an empty person, lacking any personality, of course that was a fleeting moment of self-doubt.
The moment happened almost four years ago, maybe five, and yet the moment continues to linger in the recesses of my memory. The truth of the moment, the reality of the process I put others through, constantly asking questions, seeking stories of others, and all the time I am filled with enthusiasm and anticipation of what I am about to hear and what I have heard...even what you call mundane is exciting to me!! I love stories, I love hearing personalities and exploring identities.
Me, when I am telling, I accept I need direction, what do you want to know? Not everyone shares my enthusiasm for the long meandering tales and well, I have stories that for some are best left unheard. I guess that would be the indicator of who I am, I need a point of reference and from there I can march to whatever tune is necessary to complete the objective.
I am a story writer, not teller.

3 comments:

Mystress Fyre said...

Hm.
Here's my observation on what you put here in regards to your story telling/listening abilities...your extremely curious and want to know every detail when listening to a story so you don't hesitate to ask or intergect questions into someone else's telling....which I love personally because it allows ME to be more detailed and accurate in my own telling.

Perhaps because you offer it yourself, the guidance, the queries, the questions...you subconsiously expect others to ask about the holes in stories?

Merely an observation cause I can ;0)

I love hearing your stories be it written or inperson. My fav's though are the ones in person cause that means your within arms reach of me!!!

Sheyde said...

I think I am finally taking ownership of my ability to write stories. You're right I do expect others to query as the same as me...yet very few people have that ability or the willingness to be queried.

I wonder if it is a symptom of culture or personality?

Mystress Fyre said...

definately personality!!!
LOVE IT!